The Williamsburg First Presbyterian Church celebrated its 200th birthday Oct. 11-12. It is the first Presbyterian Church begun in Clermont County and in the county’s oldest village. The church was organized in 1808 by Rev. Dr. Hodge, an evangelist. The first service actually took place in Williamsburg on Nov. 10, 1806, and was led by Rev. James Gilliland who lived in Red Oak, Brown County.
The Glen Este High School Thespians have been hard at work collecting food and money for the needy and bringing all the results of their labor to the Clermont County YWCA in Batavia. Joan Stek, the director of the troupe, reported the students collected a very impressive amount of 332 cans and boxes of food and $302.28 in cash.
Drum Corps International held its World Class Championships on the Indiana University at Bloomington campus the first weekend of August. Twenty Division I Drum & Bugle Corps gathered for the last time this season to go head-to-head in competition for the grand phantom regimentize…the gold medal. Phantom Regiment of Rockford, Illinois emerged victorious, and by the narrowest margin in DCI history. They stood alone, for the first time in their 52-year old history as a corps.
The Great Oaks Career Institute and Career Center has a 2.7 mill renewal tax levy on the Nov. 4 ballot. Issue 28 is a 10-year renewal of the current 2.7 mill levy; all generated funds would be used primarily for operating dollars for the institute’s high school, which includes instructors, materials, utility costs, and transportation.
There are two candidates running for the office of Clermont County Recorder, and they have similar views about the task ahead for whichever candidate replaces current Clermont County Recorder Carolyn Green.
Republican Ed Humphrey and Democrat Theresa Conover are two candidates currently campaigning to be elected to a seat on the Clermont County Board of Commissioners. Both candidates feel that they possess the qualifications and the experience necessary to become an effective county commissioner.
Army Sergeant Brad Gantz and Marine Corps Lance Corporal Ronald Thompson Jr. were honored by the Clermont County Board of Commissioners and 2nd District Congresswoman Jean Schmidt Oct. 21. Thompson, 21, started that job by enlisting in the U.S. Marine Corps after graduating from New Richmond High School in 2005.
The Clermont County Public Library is seeking a .9 mill replacement tax levy. Issue 28, which will appear on the Nov. 4 ballot, would raise funds strictly for covering the county’s 12-branch library system’s operational expenses, not for any new construction or renovation.
The second and third-grade students at the Merwin Elementary School took a field trip to the Cincinnati Nature Center Oct. 16. As part of the second and third grade curriculum, the students, who usually visit the Nature Center once or twice a year, enthusiastically strolled through the Cincinnati Nature Center’s Rowe Woods, looking for and pointing out animals and plants in their natural habitats.
The Washington Township Board of Trustees has recently discovered the 70-year-old “lost deed” to the McKendre Chapel Cemetery. The McKendre Chapel Cemetery, which is located on an overgrown hill opposite the intersection of Neville Penn and Chilo Cemetery McKendre Chapel Roads, was the cemetery of the McKendre Chapel Methodist Church, which was built sometime before 1840 on one acre of ground that was donated to Washington Township by John G. Buchanan.