Students participating in ‘Celebrate My Drive’

September 21st, 2013    Author: Administrator    Filed Under: News

By Kristin Rover
Sun staff

Several Batavia High School students presented plans to celebrate safe driving as part of the State Farm Celebrate My Drive campaign during the Sept. 16 board of education meeting.

“Celebrate My Drive does not want to scare teen drivers, but celebrate safe driving,” Bailey Schultz, a high school Business Professionals of America member, said.

Schultz played a video for board members that highlighted the campaign and contest, which will be held in October.

She said the Batavia Business Professionals of America club is leading the project and looking to involve students and members of the community.

“We are trying to get students and parents excited about this project,” Schultz said.

According to the State Farm website, Celebrate My Drive was created in 2012 to share the belief that safe driving is a lifelong commitment and to give communities a chance to rally around young drivers and encourage them to make safe driving choices.

Students can already begin signing up to participate, and Oct. 18-26 students and members of the community can support their school by making an online commitment to safe driving.

“I believe Batavia can win,” Schultz said.

The organization awards prizes to school districts that have the most students committed to safe driving.

Prizes include more than $100,000 in grant money, and two schools will win a grand prize concert with Kelly Clarkson.

According to the rules of the contest, 10 percent of the grant money received by the wining schools must be spent on a safe driving program at the school. The other 90 percent can be spent on other school-related needs at the school.

Districts are separated into small school and large school categories.

Schultz said about half of the 3,000 schools registered are small schools.

“We have a very good chance,” Schultz said.

Schultz said they will be spreading the word about the program through announcements at school, social media and through local businesses.

Schultz said they will also be encouraging students to make the commitment to safe driving at the school’s homecoming football game, which will be on Oct. 18.

She said they will be working with a local State Farm agent.

For more information, visit www.celebratemydrive.com.

SHARE: share on facebook share on digg share on linkedin share on stumbleupon email to a friend

Leave a Reply

 
  • Sunny
    Sunny
    66°F
    real feel: 64°F
    humidity: 20%
    wind speed: 2 m/s SSE
     
  • E.C. Nurre Funeral Homes
  • E.C. Nurre Funeral Homes
  • WOBO 88.7 FM
  • Health Source of Ohio