Union Township firefighters to receive grant money

March 26th, 2009    Author: Marsha Mundy    Filed Under: News

The Union Township Board of Trustees have requested detailed reports from all the departments in the township and during the meeting on March 10, the fire and police chief shared collected data and information with the board. Fire Chief Stan Deimling also had several requests for funding.

Union Township firefighters will receive additional fire safety training as a result of a $84,950 grant. The Assistance to Firefighters Grant will be utilized for two categories of training according to Chief Deimling.

“The firefighters safety will include a controlled decontamination system,” said Deimling. “It is a portable system that will be used to try to prevent cross-contamination of potential invasive diseases transferred from patients to firefighters. The second category is firefighter training. It is for a training program and the materials are packaged for multiple copies of instructions for our firefighters.”

Deimling asked the board to approve $84,950, explaining that the township's share of 10 percent, or $8,495, was needed now. The process involves getting bids for both of the programs, making purchases and then receiving the grant money.

In addition to the grant money, Deimling asked the board to approve purchase orders totaling $28,125 for Priority Dispatch; Alertts software used for extracting data; a service agreement contract with Otis Elevator; an annual agreement with University Physicians, Inc., for overseeing certification and licensing of personnel; respirator training from NKH Fire Safety for all firefighters; Ohio MARCS Radio System, a statewide system for local responders at a one-time fee of $50 per radio and the Fireblast trailer annual maintenance agreement.

The board unanimously approved all of the fire department requests.

Fire Chief Stan Deimling also reported on several fires in the area during February.

"We responded to two fires that started in the kitchens," said Deimling. "These fires started on the stove and spread to the kitchen cabinets. There was another fire that was started when hot fireplace ashes were put in a plastic garbage can and placed next to the back wall of the house. All these fires were preventable."

Board president Bob McGee commented that he had received a call from a Florida woman who was visiting her son in the area. While here, she made a call to 9-1-1 for assistance and said that she appreciated the professional way they handled her call and the assistance that she received.

Police Chief Terry Zinser reported several robberies in the area during February.

"On Feb. 24, the Comfort Inn located at 4421 Aicholtz Road was robbed. An undetermined amount of cash was stolen," said Zinser. "On the same date a burglary occurred on Hallendale Drive. Forced entry was made and electronic items were taken."

Chief Zinser reported that on Feb. 25, while on patrol, Officer Koszo witnessed several persons on the lot of the Marathon Gas station on old SR 74 and a black Jeep fish-tailing out of the car wash nearby. Koszo initiated a traffic stop on the vehicle and found people involved in the robbery of the gas station. Kyle Moermond, 18 and Andrew Puch, 21, were both charged with aggravated robbery as a result of the incident.

Both were interviewed by Union Township detectives which led to a search warrant of a home. As a result of this case, the Comfort Inn robbery was closed and arrests were made.

"The 2008 breaking and entering of Chem-Dry located at WayCross was reopened when information was received of possible suspects. Detective Puckett completed numerous follow-ups which resulted in arrests," said Zinser. "Charles Sweeney, 18 and a juvenile, 17, were charged with breaking and entering and grand theft due to a work van being taken."

"Charges were filed on Breanna Reilly, 25 and Victoria Conlon, 25, for passing bad checks to Mejers on a closed bank account," said Zinser.

On Feb. 28, Nathan Blanton, 32, was stopped for a lane violation and upon contact with the officer, he fled on foot. A foot pursuit ensued which resulted in his arrest. He was charged with OVI, driving under suspension, obstructing official business and a warrant arrest.

During the month of February, 9-1-1 received 1,617 calls and the communications center handled 4,128 calls for service for police, fire and EMS.
SHARE: share on facebook share on digg share on linkedin share on stumbleupon email to a friend

Leave a Reply

  • public notices